News

2014: A Year in Review Told Through Daily Bruin Front Pages

2014 has come and gone, leaving us scrambling to prepare for the new year, new classes and new resolutions that may or may not be kept. Just when we’d finally gotten accustomed to, and maybe even perfected, a certain routine (like to the point of knowing exactly how late you could sleep in and yet still make it in time for your 9 a.m. lecture), we are forced to start over with a clean slate. With the sudden influx of changes, it can easily get overwhelming. So as we ring in 2015, let’s pause and take a moment to remember some of last year’s most headline-worthy moments.

011714.page01.ns01

In mid-January a fire broke out near Angeles National Forest, burning over 1,000 acres of land. Smoke clouds could be seen from UCLA’s campus.

On April 7, students packed Pauley Pavilion and danced for 26 hours straight to raise both money and awareness for the Pediatric AIDS Coalition.

080414.page01.ns01

UCLA’s campus was flooded with an estimated 20 million gallons of water in August when a nearly century-old water main running under Sunset Boulevard broke. The John Wooden Court and the adjacent underground parking structure experienced some of the most costly damage from the inundation.

072114.page01.ns01

In late July, during the height of the Israel-Palestine conflict, protesters, including some members of the UCLA community, marched to the Israeli Consulate asking for Israel to stop air strikes on the Gaza Strip. They began their trek at the Westwood’s Federal Building and marched in a mass of over a thousand people.

111914.page01ns01

Students marched through campus on Nov. 18 to protest a tuition hike of 5 percent per year for the next five years as proposed by the UC Regents. Protests continued throughout the week, ultimately coming in the way of the Beat ‘SC bonfire.

photo 3

Nov. 22 marked the third consecutive victory for the Bruins over the Trojans. UCLA finished the game with a final score of 38-20.

120814.page01.ns01 (1)

The men’s water polo team secured UCLA’s 112th NCAA championship in a close victory against the Trojans on Dec. 7, bringing an end to USC’s six-year winning streak.

Tags: , ,