Food and Dining

4 Ways to Mix Up Your Morning Meal in the Dining Halls

By spring quarter, your tastebuds may have grown a little tired of dining hall food. Despite the high quality of food here at UCLA, eating the same meals day in and day out can get a bit old (although this week WorldFest at UCLA treated us to some new tastes). There’s only so many bowls of cereal with milk that a hungry student can handle. Keeping this in mind, we’re compiled a list of delicious recipes to help get you out of your meal rut, starting with breakfast.

Crunchy Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter

If you’re tired of boring, plain ‘ol peanut butter, spice things up a bit (literally) with this crunchy, chewy, and nutty spread that you won’t be able to stop eating.

• Two tablespoons (a big spoonful) of creamy peanut butter

• A tablespoon of sliced almonds

• craisins or raisins

• A scoop of granola – my personal favorite is vanilla almond!

• A hefty shake of cinnamon

You can find the almonds, craisins, and granola by the yogurt bar, and the raisins and cinnamon near the oatmeal.  Just grab a bowl, stir everything up, and enjoy! My favorite way to eat this delicious spread is in a whole wheat sandwich with banana slices and a drizzle of honey. It’s also excellent on its own, stirred into oatmeal or spread on a banana. -JF

Nutella Mocha

Nutella coffee in a cup… need I say more? To make this creamy drink, fill about 1/3 of a mug with hot chocolate, and then fill up the rest of the mug with regular coffee and add a splash of hazelnut creamer. If you’re not a fan of coffee or want more chocolate flavor, try fiddling with the amounts of coffee and hot chocolate until you get the perfect combination. For a more indulgent treat, try adding some whipped cream or mini marshmallows on top! -JF

Pretty Pancakes

Had enough plain old syrup on your pancakes? Miss the 100% pure maple syrup you had back home? Get creative with the yogurt bar and all the fruit at your disposal in the dining halls, or try this delicious combo.

• 1 plate of pancakes
  • ½ banana
  • 1 large spoonful of cottage cheese or plain yogurt
  • 1 small handful of almond slivers
  • 1 small handful of craisins

Slice up half a banana and arrange the slices on the top pancake. Add as much cottage cheese (or plain yogurt) as you like (I used roughly two tablespoons) and top with almond slivers and dried cranberries. You can also use this mix to liven up your oatmeal. Pair with plain coffee or a large glass of soy milk et voilà! -IG

Power Breakfast

If your energy levels tend to dip during the morning or you seldom have time for lunch, try this high-energy breakfast.

• Your choice of bagel
  • 1 banana
  • Cream cheese
  • Peanut butter
  • Honey (optional)

Pick your favorite type of bagel, although avoid the onion and bear in mind that whole wheat will keep you full for longer. Cut the bagel in half and toast it. On one side, spread your choice of peanut butter (I use crunchy) and on the other, spread some cream cheese. Top both halves with banana slices. Adding honey on the cream cheese half is also great for your sweet tooth. Sit back and enjoy! I can’t get enough of this. -IG

Have you created anything interesting in the dining halls lately? Tweet us @dbmojo or leave a comment below!

-Iris Goldsztajn and Julianna Foster

-