How-to

Five Ways to Make the Most of Your Enrollment Times

Whether you’re in a first, second, third or fourth year, we’ve all had our fair share of ups and downs enrolling in classes. Often, the class we want is open at one point, and it only takes 30 seconds into our first pass for its status to almost magically change (and not in the happy-Disney sort of way) to waitlisted or closed. Other times, we just can’t seem to figure out the new MyUCLA website, and by the time we do, the classes on our saved plan in the Class Planner are no longer options. Whatever your personal experiences have been with enrollment passes, Mojo is here to help you minimize the stress associated with choosing and enrolling in classes.

Let’s face it – enrollment passes can determine whether your upcoming quarter will be academically enjoyable or not. So here are five ways to make the most of your enrollment passes.

1. Keep checking the status of your prospective classes a few hours before your enrollment time.

It’s highly likely that other students will be enrolling in the classes you desire ahead of your enrollment time. Keep your computer near you the day of your first and second pass and stay updated with the status of the classes you want. Just because the class is 75 percent empty the night before, does not mean that it will still be open at 7 a.m. the next day. Checking the status of your prospective classes at least an hour before your enrollment pass will give you ample time to find a more plausible alternative if necessary. This is also a good idea even if the class you want has a few spots open just minutes before your enrollment time.

3

2. Check if the classes you want have any prerequisites or co-requisites.

The last thing you want 15 seconds into your enrollment time is to see the shaded red box with the “ERROR” message and the horrible red X.1Doing your research on the classes you plan to enroll in ahead of time and being aware of any prerequisites and co-requisites the classes may have, will save you from the terrifying error message. It will also give you enough time to contact professors or departments to request a PTE number to enroll in the class, if possible.

3. Know whether your prospective classes have any major or minor enrollment restrictions and be proactive in speaking to professors.

5

Being unaware of the major or minor enrollment restrictions a class may have is another enrollment faux pas that can be easily avoided if you are up to date on the restrictions. Many professors are glad to hear from students that are highly passionate in the subjects they are teaching even though the students may not be majoring or minoring in that subject, and are likely to consider giving out PTE numbers when students take the time and effort to exhibit their interest.

4. Be ready for morning enrollment passes.

2

If you have a particularly early enrollment time and usually have trouble waking up in the morning, be prepared to set multiple alarms, have your roommate make sure you’re awake or take whatever precautionary measures you usually take to prevent yourself from sleeping through important things. The day of your first pass is definitely not the day you want to accidentally turn off your alarm instead of pressing snooze. For highly desirable classes that are requirements for popular majors, missing only 30 minutes of your enrollment time can set you back a quarter if you don’t get the classes you need for your major.

* Also be sure to note whether your pass in the the a.m. or p.m. so you’re not waking up for nothing. 

5. Don’t give up on the classes you want.

4

It happens and usually more often than you want it to, as UCLA is just so big, that you don’t get into all of the classes you wanted. But it’s important to realize that it’s really not the end of the world; there’s always a light at the end of the enrollment tunnel. It’s human nature to be indecisive and change our minds countless times. Students often enroll in classes in a frenzy, overcome by the pressure and stress of choosing classes for the upcoming quarter, and only begin to think twice about their class choices a day or two later. Students will be adding the classes you want, while others will be dropping, and it’s your job to not get discouraged but instead be prepared to claim what (at least, what you think) is yours.