Food and Dining

6 Ways to Save Money on Food

We are all on a tight budget, and food seems much more expensive when our parents aren’t paying for it. Thankfully, there are a few ways that you can save some dolla billz while still giving your body proper nutrition.

michellepastaa

1. Get free meal vouchers from the Student Activities Center

You read that right. You are entitled to five meal vouchers for the dining halls throughout your UCLA career. Simply sign up at the Student Activities Center and pick up your meal voucher according to the following schedule:

10322558_10205127761734119_4280008353286441916_n

2. Take advantage of your friends’ swipes and Greek chapter houses

tumblr_n4pfrs6cri1qikmd9o1_500

The downside of living in an apartment is the distinct lack of catering. On the bright side, most of your friends in dorms, fraternities and sororities do have access to delicious food that they will be thrilled to share with you.

3. Check out the UCLA food closet

The UCLA Community Programs Office Food Closet, also located in the Student Activities Center, is a donation-based resource for hungry students. Anyone can take items from (or give items to) the food closet and never skip a meal again!

4. Get those free samples

gif-its-free

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Whether it’s a strange new granola bar from a promotional stand or good ol’ orange chicken from Panda Express, free food samples can go a long way.

5. Fill out a survey

Speaking of Panda Express, if you fill out a quick satisfaction survey after your visit to the restaurant, you will get one free entree item with a two-entree combo. Be sure to look out for other similar deals as well.

6. Attend club info meetings

tumblr_lupslcWdn11qe16sl

Okay, free Diddy Riese cookies and/or pizza are probably not the best reason to attend a club’s info session, but on the other hand, free Diddy Riese cookies and/or pizza are pretty great. Besides, you will probably learn something valuable and want to get further involved with the food organization, so everybody wins.

Do you have any tips and tricks to save money on food? Share them with us by tweeting @dbmojo or commenting below.