Campus news

Asking Bruins whom they want to thank

In Bruin Plaza Thursday: pretzels, music, smoothies and a whole lot of thank-you’s.

The third annual Thank UCLA Day, an event put on by the Student Giving Committee, celebrates the Bruin tradition of philanthropy, said Stacy Capoot, assistant director of the Student Giving Committee with the UCLA Fund.

Students were encouraged to donate to the UCLA Fund, as well as write thank-you cards to individuals in the UCLA community who inspired them, such as professors and counselors. The Student Giving Committee will deliver the cards to recipients next week.

We asked students whom they wanted to thank at UCLA. Here are a few responses:

“I’m graduating soon, and I came here to thank everyone for my experiences here at UCLA. I love the environment, classes and professors.”

Ryan Shan, fourth-year mathematics student

“UniCamp, a group that funds trips to camp for the low-income students from the Greater Los Angeles area.”

Jasmine Castro, first-year undeclared social sciences student 

“The beauty of the campus and the fact that we can play music outside and dance every night.”

Ghristelle Guette, graduate neuroscience student, and Rachel Hirst, second-year mathematics student, performed at the event on behalf of the UCLA Salsa Society Dance Company.

“The diversity – I love that there are many different people with so many different passions.”

Felice Shang, third-year biology student

Are there people or parts of UCLA life you are particularly thankful for? Tweet @dbmojo or comment below.

Reporting by Fiona Kirby and Antonio Gonzales, Bruin contributors.