How-to

Best Ways to Travel from UCLA to LAX

The holidays are coming up. We’re packing our bags and looking forward to returning home… but wait, how do we get there?

There are many different ways to get yourself from UCLA to LAX, and the various options differ in price and efficiency. We compiled a list of all of the options, so you can decide what’s easiest for you!

• FlyAway Shuttle – The shuttle picks up outside of UCLA parking structure 32 (Veteran and Kinross) every hour, on the hour, from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. [UPDATE: UCLA Transportation tells us the FlyAway has extended service during Thanksgiving, and will run every 30 minutes. It even departs from De Neve Plaza during peak hours. Check out the holiday flier for more details.] There’s no reservation needed. The ride costs $10 and they don’t accept cash as payment. Cards only. In minimal traffic it takes about 30 to 40 minutes to get to the airport.
  • Super Shuttle – A $25 van ride that needs to be booked in advance on the SuperShuttle website.
  • The Bus – Line 3 will get you to LAX, but more stops means a longer ride so make sure you leave extra early so you don’t miss your flight!
  • Taxi – Call a taxi service to pick you up at UCLA and the ride will cost between $40 to $50 depending on traffic. It’s a good idea to share a cab with friends to split the cost.
  • Uber - Get this iPhone/Android app that allows you to request a professional car service to pick you up from any location and drive you to your destination. Fare is calculated similar to a cab ride, but you are transported in a private black car and the fare is automatically charged to the credit card that you link to the app.
  • A Very Nice Friend with a Car – The ride is usually free. But you should probably tip them with a big hug.

Travel safely!