Westwood

Bike to Campus Week: Pit stops

Are you gearing up for your bike ride to school but notice that your bike is looking a little “tyred” lately? Bike puns aside, maybe you ought to stop by the UCLA bike pit stop this week for some complimentary bike service.

The pit stops, which can be found at different locations in Westwood throughout the week (see below), offer refreshments, free bike gear and information, as well as bike tune-ups, courtesy of the UCLA Community Bike Center. It is one of many biker-friendly events taking place for the annual Bike to Campus Week.

“We just wanted to show a little TLC to the bike community,” said Michael King, a transportation planner for the UCLA Transportation.

More than 40 people checked in to the pit stop for repairs Tuesday, King said.

UCLA alumnus David Duong noticed the pit stop on his morning ride to work, and the mechanics fixed his derailleurs (for any non-bikers, it is basically the part of the bike that helps switch gears). Duong commutes every day from his home in Santa Monica to his job in the marketing department at the UCLA Anderson School of Business. He said he decided to start biking to work when gas became too pricey. The ride to UCLA is quick and enjoyable, he said. He carries only a backpack with his business suit tucked inside.

Most of the bikers that stopped by had bikes that needed minimal repairs, such as Duong’s derailleur issue, said bike mechanic and third-year geography student Sophia Forde.

For bikes that needed more intensive repairs, Forde recommended bike owners to the UCLA Community Bike Center, located in the John Wooden Center. The shop conducts full service of bikes and also provides tools for students who want to work on their bikes for free.

Bikers, make sure to stop by the remaining pit stops this week:

Wednesday, 8:30-10:30 a.m. at Tiverton Dental in front of the School of Dentistry

Thursday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Ackerman Turnaround

The Metro is also providing free bus rides for bikers on Thursday.

Also, check out this column by Elizabeth Case about UCLA’s efforts to become a more bike-friendly campus and her tips for the best biking routes around Los Angeles.

Did you check out the pit stop? Do you bike to UCLA on a regular basis? Send us a photo of you on your daily bike route to our Twitter @dbmojo or comment below with your experiences.