Culture

Dates To Take Yourself On For Valentine’s Day

mojo-treatyourself

Don’t have anything planned with someone special for Valentine’s Day? Stop worrying about having no plans, and instead take the day to unwind and treat yourself because you deserve it. Being single doesn’t mean you can’t have an awesome Valentine’s Day.

Attend a classic movie screening: Spend this Friday stepping back in time by seeing a classic movie on the big screen. You can see “Casablanca” at The Egyptian Theatre, located at 6712 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood, CA 90028 or “Breakfast At Tiffany’s” at the Aero Theatre, located at 1328 Montana Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90403. Admission to both is only $9 with student ID and if you arrive early you will even get complimentary Godiva chocolates. For the Aero Theater take Blue Blue route 1 to Santa Monica and 11th and walk. For the Egyptian Theatre take the Metro 2/302 to Sunset  and Cherokee and walk one block.

Volunteer: Spend the weekend of love giving love back to the community. This Saturday head to West Hollywood and participate in Cupid’s Undie Run. Hundreds of nearly naked people run through the streets of Hollywood to raise money for The Children’s Tumor Foundation. The run starts at 2 p.m. at 692 North Robertson Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069. Take Metro line 2/302 leaving from Hilgard and get off at Sunset and San Vicente and walk one block.

Go to a tea room: Spend the day sampling every tea you could have ever dreamed of. The Chado Tea Room in Hollywood is a perfect way to relax and figure out which tea is your favorite. Make a reservation and for $20 you will be in tea heaven. It is located at 369 E. 1st St., Los Angeles, CA, 90012. Take Metro line 20 toward downtown to the 33 at Broadway and 7th and then get off at Main and 7th.

Go to Barnsdall Art Park: Take a trip to Barnsdall Art Park in the afternoon to soak up the sun and read a book For a more peaceful solo date, head to Barnsdall Art Park in Hollywood. Home of the famous architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s creation, the Hollyhock House, Barnsdall is a tiny piece of heaven right off Hollywood Boulevard. Take a book or pack a small picnic, because this Valentine’s Day is going to be sunny! Take the 2/302 Metro bus from Le Conte and Westwood to Sunset and Edgemont. Then, simply walk up Edgemont and make a right on Hollywood. Barnsdall Art Park is located at 4800 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA, 90027 and is open from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Treat yourself at Wi Spa: Take a trip to Wi Spa in Koreatown and unwind. Open 24 hours, Wi Spa is a family friendly Korean spa that includes saunas, spas, steam rooms and access to towels/lockers in its $25 entry fee. Whether you’re able to spend the entire day or start your spa day late at night (they do have designated napping areas), Wi Spa is a great way to pamper yourself. The spa also includes a restaurant serving Korean food, and offers treatments such as nail care, skin care and massage for an additional fee. Take the 20 or 720 Metro bus and get off at Wilshire and Vermont. Once there, continue walking eastward on Wilshire. Wi Spa should be on the right. Wi Spa is located at 2700 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90057.

Explore the Natural History Museum: Take a trip to the Natural History Museum for the exhibition “Traveling the Silk Road.” If you’re willing to travel to that *other* school and interested in history, the Natural History Museum at Exposition Park is showing a special exhibit re-creating the famous Silk Road from over a thousand years ago. Educate yourself and take your time perusing the other exhibits as well, since this exhibit is $8 in addition to the $9 student admission fee. Take the Big Blue Bus route 12 to Venice and Robertson. Walk over to the Culver City station of the Metro Expo Line, and take the train to Expo and Vermont. When you get off, continue walking on Exposition and make a right on Bill Robertson Lane. The museum should be within view at 900 Exposition Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90007 and is open from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.

What are you planning on doing for Valentine’s Day? Comment below or tweet us @dbmojo.

– Sarah Greenwald and Kelly Yeo