Science & Health

Fitness Friday: Around-Campus Workout

With this Sunday being Easter, it’s only fitting that you go on an Easter egg hunt. But this year, instead of hunting for chocolates, why not do a “workout” hunt? Cheesy as it sounds, this around-campus workout is no joke. It’s the perfect way to mix up your usual running or strength routine. You’ll run to each spot, and perform an exercise there for one minute before moving onto the next spot.

Here are the exercises for each spot:

1. Drake Stadium: Run up and down the stairs
  2. Wilson Plaza: Pushups
  3. Top of Janss Steps: Mountain climbers
  4. Royce Hall: Tricep dips on the brick ledges in front of the building
  5. Sculpture Garden: Step ups on a bench
  6. Court of Sciences: Bird dogs
  7. Ackerman Union: Squat jumps

Some form cues for each of the movements:

• Pushups: Keep those elbows pointing behind you (no chicken wings). Try to maintain a good plank position as you lower yourself to the ground and back up. 
  • Mountain climbers: Keep your butt down and your body in a straight line. Slowly bring each knee up to your chest and back out; you can pick up the pace if you can keep good form.
  • Tricep dips: Elbows point straight behind you, keep your butt as close to the ledge as you can. Lower until your elbows are at 90 degrees and then push back up to the starting position.
  • Step ups: Fully extend your hips at the top of each step up. You can alternate legs and use your knee to drive you up in the air.
  • Bird dogs: While on hands and knees, extend your opposite arm and leg to be parallel with your shoulders and hip, respectively. Thumbs up and heels pointed toward the sky.
  • Squat jumps: Focus on sending your butt back (not your knees forward). Then explosively extend your hips – this will send you into the air. Land with soft knees.

Julianna Foster / Daily Bruin

For an extra challenge, repeat the circuit twice. It should take about 15 minutes to do one time through.

What is your favorite place to workout around campus? Tweet us @dbmojo or leave a comment below.