Food and Dining

Hello, December: Our Bittersweet Farewell to Pumpkin-flavored Treats

Happy December, everyone! November was the month of pumpkin treats, and we shared our favorite recipes with you, including mini-pumpkin pies and pumpkin-spice lattes.  If you’re staring at those cans of pumpkin puree you bought a month ago, here’s your chance to put them to good use. After all, it’s tenth week and you need an excuse to procrastinate.

Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake

This cake is ridiculously easy to make and ridiculously delicious!

It’s a perfect breakfast goodie to accompany your morning coffee or tea, an excellent afternoon snack to fuel your writing that 10-page research paper and a delightful midnight treat to reward yourself after a long day of studying.

Pumpkin Spice Latte Pancakes with Cinnamon Maple Glaze

It should be illegal to have so many delicious words in the name of one dish.

So, what’s behind the adjectives in these puppies?

• Krusteaz or Bisquick pancake mix: No secrets here, make it easy on yourself and go for pre-made mix. Just make sure you mind the proportions! Begin with the base recipe and add proportions accordingly.
  • Pumpkin puree: The recipe says to add 1/3 cup but I added double that amount because there is no such thing as too much pumpkin!
  • Cocoa powder: For six servings, I went with about 1/4 cup of cocoa powder. If you’re a chocolate lover, don’t be shy to add more!
  • Espresso powder/finely ground coffee: Depending on how much you like coffee, you can add as little as a few tablespoons or as much as 1/4 cup (or more!). My recommendation is start small, make a pancake to taste and add more as your taste buds dictate!
  • Brewed coffee: Same rule as above, I added 1/2 cup per six servings. Add coffee in a 1 to 2 proportion with the milk to get the right consistency.
  • Olive oil: Substitute this healthier alternative for vegetable oil. You won’t be able to taste the difference!
  • Chocolate chips: No explanation necessary for these ones!
  • Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ground cloves: Ah yes, the traditional pumpkin pie spices. Feel free to be as liberal with them as you like.

For the Cinnamon Maple Syrup, combine 1/2 cup of maple syrup, 1/4 cup of spiced apple cider (I recommend Trader Joe’s Spiced Cider) and a stick of cinnamon and simmer over your stove top until warm and gooey, stirring often.

Top with homemade whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.