Food and Dining

How-to: Make a Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

It finally feels like fall in Los Angeles. Now that you’ve dusted the cobwebs off your sweaters, it’s also time to indulge in your favorite fall drink: the pumpkin spice latte.

But if you’re tired of forking over five bucks every time you have a hankering for the seasonal beverage (The 16 oz. latte at chain coffee stores costs a not-so-college-budget-friendly $4.75, and sometimes the stores even run out of the mix), here’s a recipe that shows you how to mix up the drink in the comforts of your own home. Add a few extra spices to your pantry and you can make a pumpkin spice latte whenever you feel like it, saving you the walk and the cost.

Ingredients (for the full instructions on how to combine these ingredients, read the recipe online ).

• 1 level tablespoon pumpkin puree (canned)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar (packed and leveled)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg (+ a pinch for dusting later)
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups strong coffee (brewed using 2 tbs per 1 cup of water)
  • 4 tablespoons half-and-half
  • Sugar to taste
  • Whipped cream

If you like to bake, you probably have most of these ingredients on hand. This recipe is also a great way to use up that can of pumpkin puree you bought on a whim. Another plus: you don’t have to feel so guilty about your coffee quirks. If you’re a low-fat, extra whip, 140 degrees, no foam kind of coffee drinker, homemade drinks are perfect for you. Pair it with pumpkin bread or other pumpkin-y baked goods for a real fall feast.

Check back in with us later this week to learn how to make some delicious mini pumpkin pies.