Mojo Asks Students

Is It too Early for Christmas Music?

Every year on the first of November, all the Christmas merch comes out from hiding and forces the holiday cheer on you. Stores and coffee shops across the country begin to play carols and other Christmas classics for your enjoyment – or lack thereof. But where do you stand on the issue of Christmas music before Thanksgiving? Should our headphones be blasting “Jingle Bell Rock,” or does this make both holidays less special? We asked a few of you to weigh in.

giphy

Mojo: “Is it too early for Christmas music?”

YES

Kristen Pojunis, third-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student: “I’ve always followed the ‘no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving’ rule. I think it makes the holidays more special when you sort of separate them and celebrate each individually.”

Spencer Kieu, third-year environmental science student:I think it’s a little early for Christmas music. I think the beginning of December makes more sense. I associate November with Thanksgiving, I guess. And it’s still technically fall.”

NO

Matt Gillum, third-year anthropology and biology student: “Until someone starts writing Thanksgiving music, no, it’s not too early. But then again, I’m from Washington, and I just start to celebrate Christmas whenever it starts snowing, so it has nothing to do with Thanksgiving for me.”

Kimberly Paredes, third-year psychobiology student: “December is literally just less than a week away, so I think it’s just the perfect time! I’ve listened to a few Christmas songs like ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside.’ I don’t know if that counts, but it gets me in the winter ‘Christmas-y’ feel.”

Savannah Aleman, third-year music history student:I love Christmastime and colder weather, so starting Christmas music early just makes me get more into the Christmas spirit. If it were up to me, we would skip Thanksgiving and go straight into Christmastime after Halloween!”

UCLA students seem pretty divided on this issue, but what do you think? Let us know by tweeting us @dbmojo or commenting below.

Tags: , ,