Arts & Entertainment

Let’s Talk Coachella: Last-Minute Tips and Tricks

Guys, Coachella Weekend 1 is this weekend. I repeat. This weekend.

The anticipation and idea of Coachella has truly distressed us for some time now. For some pre-sale junkies, it’s been an eternal 11-month journey. From the “OMG, just bought my ticket” to the exhausted “is Coachella still happening” phase, we’ve really been through a roller coaster of emotions.

That’s why we shouldn’t and can’t ruin this experience by forgetting some basic necessities that a lot of people tend to overlook. First timers, read carefully!

Items that, if forgotten, will ruin you:

1. Wristband/Shuttle Pass/Locker Reservation: You’d be surprised at how many people forget. It’s truly comical and extremely horrific.

2. Sunscreen: Unless you want to be a part of lobster season, it would be a good idea to pack sunscreen. People tend to forget and ignore the fact that reapplication is the most important part of maintaining optimal skin protection.

Life would be easier if you brought: 

1. Cash/Credit Card: For the first time, this year’s Coachella will finally be allowing credit cards at vendors. Hoorah! It’s still a good idea to have some cash on you though for emergency situations.

2. Hat: By all means, if you’re not a hat person, it’s OK. However, you might regret it when you realize Indio is not always flower crowns and flash tattoos but an actual desert. Even if you’re not going to wear it all day, bring one so your scalp and hair have the option to live.

3. Your Comfiest Shoes: The place is dusty. Your shoes will get extremely dirty so you might as well forgo your cute lil’ fashion boots and sandals for your day one sneakers. If your comfiest shoes are a pair of sandals, bring them. Just keep in mind that people will be dancing and trying to mob to the front – the perfect ingredients for stubbed toes.

4. Medication: Advil, allergy medications and vitamins are all things you should have. By the second day, it isn’t impossible for a huge headache to come down due to the excessive environment. It’s better to have medication on you than painfully force yourself through an experience you’ve spent so much energy, time and money for.

5. Not Your Nice Sunglasses: Your sunnies will fall and fly off, so make sure you bring a pair you don’t have too many attachments to.

6. Jacket: I’m being 100 percent serious. Again, Indio is a desert. Hot days, cold nights. Every year I see people shivering with blue lips telling their friends, “I didn’t think it would get this cold! Man, I should’ve listened to Mojo.”

7. Wet Wipes/Hand Sanitizer: I don’t know about you, but I like to eat with hands that aren’t covered in mud, dust and sweat. I also want to come back to UCLA as a healthy being, so I’m not caught in the perpetual cycle of sickness that will throw me off two weeks of school. It’s really all about personal preference though.

8. ChapStick: Protect yo’ lips!

Don’t Forget to:

1. Pack lightly! This is the time to pull out those moves you’ve been working on so get funky without anything bringing you down. A light backpack or, more favorably, a fanny pack would do just the job.

2. Make a set landmark your meeting place. It’s a well-known fact that cell phone reception is a bust at the festival so try not to spend all your time trying to send that “where are you?” text. If you are going to text, at least send “go to meeting spot.”

Are we missing anything? Tweet us at @DBMojo or comment below to help us out.

Good luck and see you there!

Photo Credits to Nicki Gigliotti

Tags: , , ,