Food and DiningMojo Asks Students

Mojo Asks Students: How do you like the generic brand Sriracha sauce in the dining halls?

Stephanie Orpilla / Daily Bruin

UCLA dining halls are officially part of the Sriracha apocalypse. Easily recognizable by its green cap and rooster logo, Huy Fong Foods’ Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce must now be held for 30 days before being shipped to consumers. Because of this new regulation by the California Department of Public Health, the continuous shipping of Sriracha has been halted, causing a Sriracha shortage. This week our dining halls finished off the last of their supply of Huy Fong Foods’ Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce and made the switch to Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Chili Sauce. Victoria Sandoval, a manager at Feast, feels optimistic about the switch and commented, “I think it tastes better than the old brand. A little more authentic!” Sandoval does not know if or when the UCLA dining halls will get Huy Fong Foods’ Sriracha hot sauce back.

Mojo asked students dining at Feast how they like the new Lee Kum Kee Sriracha Chili Sauce and here are some of their opinions:

• “It’s not the same. I’m a little bit disappointed.” Vicky Lee, second-year physiological science student.
  • “If you take a closer look you can see the water separating from the sauce. It’s not a homogeneous mixture.” D. Chung, second-year biology student
  • “I want to stay loyal to the other brand. This tastes a little sweeter.” Lisa Jiang, third-year sociology student.
  • I liked it but I like anything.” Kristen Biermayer, first-year engineering student.
  • “It sucks. It’s like nothing compared to the other one, trust me. I’m an expert. [...] It’s not consistent. Sometimes it tastes bitter, sometimes it’s sour” Chau Quach, first-year pre-business economics student.
  • “It’s a little more sweet and it isn’t as spicy” Sharon Lee, third-year molecular cellular developmental biology student.
  • “The old one makes everything taste good! This kind is different” Sok Chhay, third-year civil engineering student.
  • “I feel very angered by this mediocre impersonator. It’s like the same brand they use at Panda Express” Lawrence Kumar, second-year environmental science student.
  • “I can’t believe they call this Sriracha. [...] Unfortunately the new brand doesn’t hold up. It tastes like lead paint. Really, it does. I have a bottle of actual Sriracha in my room, so I know” Ralph Albert, second year neuroscience student.

How are you coping without your Sriracha? Comment below or tweet us @dbmojo.

Tags: , , , ,