Campus news

Mojo Asks Students: Racist Stickers on Campus

Jessica Zhou/Daily Bruin
Jessica Zhou/Daily Bruin

Editor’s note: Some of the images included in this post contain explicit language. We have decided to run these images because we felt it appropriate to thoroughly cover this campus incident.

Racist stickers referencing Freddie Gray appeared around campus and on the Afrikan Student Union’s bulletin board on Thursday, and students quickly denounced the stickers on Facebook and by marking the stickers themselves. Many students said that the situation was reflective of poor campus climate, and some added they felt it is an issue the Undergraduate Students Association Council should address. Here are some student thoughts:

“If they attack the black community at UCLA, they are attacking everyone at UCLA. We stand together as one whole family. If they attack on family, they attack all of us.” – first-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student Rubi Gomez

“I saw one of the stickers and my first reaction was being upset because I don’t think they understand the full institutionalized consequences. The problem is not ‘if you follow the law, you’d be alive’ but more of a targeted race issue. Also, being anonymous makes it a hate crime and it’s clearly an attack.” – fifth-year geography and English student Kristen Chan

“If only Freddie Gray had followed the damn law, he’d still be alive.” (Jessica Zhou/Daily Bruin)

“We go to a school that is not very politically active. Maybe at Berkeley people would be more motivated about this. … The only thing people got upset about was the tuition hikes, and then we went on break and then everyone forgot about it.” – first-year undeclared student Eleanor Hunts

“A lot of things with anti-Semitism have been going on around campus, and we’re known for our racially diverse campus so it’s disturbing to see that we have come to this level. I feel like it opens your eyes to certain things you didn’t truly understand the extent of.” – second-year sociology student Leah Falcon

“They are not peaceful protestors. They are uncivilized, violent criminals. #ShootAllLooters” (Jessica Zhou/Daily Bruin)

“It’s not shocking people feel that way because there are racist people everywhere. It’s the fact they go to the lengths to do that that shocks me. As a UCLA student it makes me rethink the whole ‘picture perfect public school with lots of diversity’ image we try so hard to attain.” – first-year psychology student Brian Green

“It’s disgusting, and in general this issue doesn’t just affect the group being targeted. It affects everyone. Seeing things like this makes me question humanity but also forces me to rethink about the ‘educated’ people we are surrounded by in a high profile university.” – first-year business economics student Devanshi Mehta