Mojo Asks Students

Mojo Asks Students: What Are Your Best Tips For Picking A Roommate?

From the farting-while-slumbering roommate to the apartment-mate who throws parties every weekend, we’ve all heard the stories of roommates from hell. With the time to decide on living arrangements for next year drawing nigh (MyUCLA Housing applications are due by Jan. 28 at 4 p.m.), students now must consider who they want to live with and where. Mojo asked students for tips and advice on how to avoid a living situation disaster for the upcoming academic year.

Asit Dave, second-year biology student told us, “Choose someone that you think matches your lifestyle and is understanding … rather than someone you’ve just been hanging out with. Ideally you’d hang with prospective roommates quite a bit to know how they live, and what they do in conflict situations.”

Daiki Hara, second-year biophysics student said, “I’m not really sure. My roommate and I decided randomly over a lunch. And he just turned out to be a great roommate. Just find someone that you’re comfortable with.”

Justin Onketta, third-year economics student recommends, “It’s important that you and your roommate have compatible standards of cleanliness. It’s surprising how little annoyances can add up over a twelve month lease.”

Emily Cheng, third-year neuroscience student answered, “Find someone who can cook. Someone who can cook who will also share their food with you.”

Have any more advice to add as a seasoned housing veteran? Any bad roommate stories? Comment below or tweet us @dbmojo.

Tags: , ,