Food and DiningMojo Asks StudentsNews

Mojo Asks Students: What do you think about the new turkey sandwich at Bcaf?

Stephanie Orpilla / Daily Bruin

Old turkey sandwich: turkey breast, jack cheese, cranberry chutney, mayo, green leaf lettuce and tomatoes on a french roll
New Turkey and Provolone sandwich (not to be confused with the new California turkey club sandwich): roasted turkey breast, provolone cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, mayo and red wine vinaigrette on a rosemary parmesan roll

Last week Bcaf opened back up for the year, debuting an extended menu featuring 19 sandwiches including pastrami, cuban ham, and roasted vegetable and hummus. Missing from this new menu, however, is the classic Bcaf turkey sandwich. This “old turkey sandwich” has been replaced by a new turkey sandwich, and people aren’t happy. So unhappy, in fact, that Roasted Turkey Lovers Anonymous have created a petition on change.org to bring the old turkey sandwich back to Bcaf. So far this petition is 370 supporters strong, and clearly, people want the old turkey sandwich back at Bcaf.

Bcaf managers Li Li Lin and Dinesh De Silva explained that the changes in the turkey sandwich were made to “give students new healthier options that are a better value for their swipe.” They also said that the old turkey sandwich was the most popular menu item at Bcaf last year. In response to students that miss the old turkey sandwich they say, “Give it a week and once we see what the need is, we might decide to bring back the old sandwich. But it’s really up to the department.”

Today I asked 10 people at Bcaf what they thought about the change:

• “The old one was amazing. It made me feel like life was worth living.” -Ying Wu, second-year biology student
  • “I really miss the old one.” -Elizabeth Lov, second-year international studies student
  • “I really like the new one. This one is not bad. I’m not going to sign the petition on Facebook.” -Emilio Huerta, second-year biology student
  • “I’d be down for having the cranberry back.” -Vik Sairam, second-year business economics student
  • “The old one was the only thing I got here. It didn’t matter if it was soggy, toasty, or they forgot an ingredient. It was always good” -Daniel Kim, second-year math economics student
  • “Please tell them to bring it back. Fill out a survey.” -Cherlyn Smith, Bcaf employee
  • “I want it back. It’s so traditional and I feel like when we all graduate and make a turkey sandwich, we’ll want to put cranberry in it and it’ll remind us of here.” -Christine Shim, second-year psychology student
  • “The veggie option was so awesome. Just cheese, lettuce, tomato, and cranberry. I would it eat for a month.” -Manushak Avanesyan, second-year biology student
  • “I cried for 20 minutes when I found out the change. Well there were other factors involved in why I cried too, but I cried! I don’t know how I feel about the new sandwich.” -Claire Crinion, second-year cognitive science student
  • “I’m not really that emotionally invested in the sandwich, but I’m inspired by the political actions of the petitions to bring back the old one.” -Amy Cummings, second-year undeclared student

Do you miss the old turkey sandwich? Tell us in the comments or tweet us @dbmojo and sign the petition here.