Arts & Entertainment

Mojo’s top 10 films we love based on novels we may or may not have read

The Campus Events Commission is holding a sneak-peak tonight of the film-adaptation of Leo Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina, a novel that offered us the line, “All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” If you love to see literature adapted to the big screen, check out this list of our favorite films based on novels.
  1. Fight Club – Let’s talk about Fight Club (Ah man, we already broke the first and second rule). The film kept much of the postmodern and existential themes of the book, all of which led up to one of the most surprising twists in modern cinema. We won’t spoil it for you, but seriously, it’s been out for over ten years. You should have seen it by now. – MB
  2. The Harry Potter series – When J.K. Rowling finished the final book, some of us weren’t ready to let go of the magical series that we grew up reading quite yet. Luckily, we had the films to keep us going. We laughed, we cried and grew up somewhere along the way. Although the film series has seen its up and downs, they defined a generation. Which one was your favorite? – KC
  3. Blade Runner – This seminal work of science-fiction doesn’t have much in common with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the novel it was based on), but the fact that Harrison Ford could be so awesome without being Han Solo or Indiana Jones is pretty darn impressive. – MB
  4. The Godfather – Besides the fact that the film is often hailed as the best film of all time, we included it because it made us an offer we couldn’t refuse. Marlon Brando and Al Pacino star in this classic gangster film that is a must-see for any film buff and, in fact, any UCLA student. The director, Francis Ford Coppola graduated from UCLA’s film school. – KC
  5. The Hunger Games – The latest movie sensation to give teenage girls something to talk about other than Twilight. The only difference is: The Hunger Games is actually good. Which side are you on: Team Gale or Team Peeta? – MB
  6. Gone with the Wind – This film made history when it won 10 Oscars in 1939 (Yes, it’s that good). The sprawling epic stays incredibly true to the 1000+ page novel and even added our favorite (and AFI’s) quote, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.” Clark Gable, can you be any more suave? – KC
  7. Jurassic Park – Come on, is there anyone who hasn’t seen this movie? Watching a bunch of dinosaurs wreak havoc was one of the most amazing things to watch as a kid (even if the velociraptors did give you nightmares for weeks). – MB
  8. The Lord of the Rings series – We love Peter Jackson’s precious LOTR trilogy. There’s elves, dwarves, hobbits and orcs fighting to save Middle Earth and one ring to unite them all. Each film gets better than the next, and the battles only get more majestic. Also, in case you didn’t hear, these fantasy creatures are making their return as Peter Jackson is now shooting The Hobbit. – KC
  9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Based on Ken Kesey’s novel of the same name, this film features Jack Nicholson at his finest. Nicholson’s lovable lunatic (Oh, but is he?) is pitched against the evil Nurse Ratched (even her name sends chills down our spines) in a mental asylum. The events that ensue are, well… crazy to say the least. Oh and if you watch carefully, you might see a very young Christopher Lloyd, “Doc” from the Back to the Future Series, in his first role. – KC
  10. Atonement – Naturally, we couldn’t leave out the film that marked the beginning of Keira Knightley’s collaborations with Anna Karenina director Joe Wright. The love story is heart-wrenching, and the cinematography is beautiful. We know we shed some tears. – KC

How many movies or books on the list have you seen or read? Which was your favorite? If you love watching a novel come alive on screen, check out Anna Karenina, Keira Knightley and Joe Wright’s third film togethertonight at 8 p.m. in Ackerman Grand Ballroom.

Reviews by Kassy Cho and Mike Bedard, Daily Bruin bloggers.