How-to

Opportunities to Honor Veterans at UCLA

Veterans Day fell on a Sunday this year, but since we’ve been given the day off today, it seems like the perfect time to reflect on meaning of the holiday.

The holiday honors the veterans who have given their service to protect America. It was first established to celebrate the anniversary of the signing of the armistice, ending World War I in 1918. The war officially ended at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, which is why we honor veterans on Nov. 11.

While we treasure having a day off from work and school to catch up on sleep, it’s important to remember the significance of the day. The veterans that have served or are currently serving our country protect America from harm, and there are ways in which people can give back. Mojo compiled a list of local volunteering opportunities for those interested in veterans issues:

• The Los Angeles Regional Office of the United States Department of Veteran’s Affairs is located in Westwood, at the corner of Veteran Avenue and Wilshire Blvd (Fun fact: Veteran Avenue is named after the Veteran’s Building… who knew?) The center accepts donations year-round, and encourages donations of items such as games, books, clothing, music and hygienic materials.
  • You can also volunteer your time to help honor veterans. The Veterans Affairs Voluntary Service website makes it easy to volunteer—you fill out a form with your information and a local representative contacts you and informs you of volunteer opportunities in your area.
  • The UCLA Veterans Resource Office advocates on behalf of student veterans on campus and tries to create a sense of community for those students who have served our country.
  • There are plenty of veterans student groups to join on campus, including the Military Veterans Organization at UCLA.
  • UCLA Volunteer Center is hosting a Veterans’ Day of Service on Monday to help those who have served our country. The event is hosted at the Veterans Home of West Los Angeles.

How did you celebrate Veterans Day? Do you have a family member or friend who is a veteran? Share your stories, comments and photos with us on Facebook, Twitter and in the comments below.

Tags: