Arts & Entertainment

The Best of: The Dark Knight Trilogy

A little birdie says that CEC will be showing all three films of The Dark Knight Trilogy this week, and as with all film series, the question that inevitably comes up is: which one was the best? Using a complex formula of nerd-ology, we attempt to answer this question. But just to be clear: all three are awesome (this is just to determine which one is the most awesome). Oh, and by the way, spoilers will follow.

1. Best Action Scene

Batman Begins: Crashing the monorail. Disregard for public transportation has never been so cool.

The Dark Knight: Flipping the truck. If you saw that scene in IMAX, your jaw literally hit the floor.

The Dark Knight Rises: Epic showdown between the prisoners of Gotham and the police. You would’ve thought the police would have a bit more facial hair since they were trapped underground for so long…

Winner: The Dark Knight

2. Best Romance Scene

Batman Begins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b451KPji–E *sobs*

The Dark Knight: It could’ve been ménage à trois but it ended up being a messy love triangle and eventually, errr, led to homicide.

The Dark Knight Rises: Alfred’s wish comes true when he goes to a small cafe in Florence and sips on a Fernet Branca only to see a smiling Bruce and Selina.

Winner: The Dark Knight Rises

3. Most Bada** Batman Moment

Batman Begins: Pulling Falcone out of his car and saying, “I’m Batman.” There is no way you can watch that scene and not get chills.

The Dark Knight: The interrogation scene. You know what I’m talking about.

The Dark Knight Rises: Flying the bomb out of the city. Not gonna lie, I shed a tear.

Winner: The Dark Knight

4. Best Iconic Moments Translated from Comics to Film

Batman Begins: Falcone gets tied up both in print and film! And we like it!

The Dark Knight: In the comics it was called the “Batcycle”; in the movies it was named the “Batpod.” Either way we’re glad it makes an appearance.

The Dark Knight Rises: Christopher Nolan definitely appeased the comic book fans with the notorious scene where Bane breaks Batman’s back. Ouch!

Winner: The Dark Knight

5. Best Dialogue

Batman Begins: “As a man I’m flesh and blood I can be ignored I can be destroyed but as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible, I can be everlasting.” Philosophy has never been so cool.

The Dark Knight: “Why so serious?” Instant classic.

The Dark Knight Rises: “When Gotham is ashes, then you have my permission to die.” He may have been hard to understand, but everything Bane said was both cool and terrifying.

Winner: The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight simply trumps the other two films in that it had the best overall action sequences, phenomenal acting, witty dialogue and an engaging plot. In fact, this whole series changed how people view superhero films, which is why you should see all the last two films (Batman Begins was screened on Monday) in the Ackerman Grand Ballroom October 30th and 31st. Which is your favorite of the trilogy? Comment or tweet @dbmojo.

Compiled by Mike Bedard and Stephanie Son.