Uncategorized

The Health Nut’s Guide to Homemade Snacking

We have all had those long nights starving in Powell, wishing that our backpack full of textbooks would turn into a backpack full of snacks. Even worse is that moment of disappointment when the person in line in front of you at the YRL’s Cafe 451 snags the last bagel. How about the frustration you feel toward eating the same type of cereal 23 mornings in a row?

Here are a couple of my favorite recipes that are easy to prepare for over the weekend and enjoy throughout the week.  All of them are very healthy and make perfect snacks that can even be enjoyed on the go so you don’t have to waste your time, money or hard work at the gym on options (or lack thereof) when you’re in a hurry and running between classes. The best part is that all of the following recipes can be modified to your liking, so it’s hard to mess them up. Most of the ingredients can be found right here in Westwood at Trader Joe’s, Ralphs or Whole Foods.

Date and Nut Protein Bar

2 cups dates (pitted)

2 cups cashews

1/2 cup almonds

1/2 cup shredded coconut

2 tablespoons vanilla extract

2 tablespoons chia or flax seeds

2 tablespoons cacao nibs or dark chocolate chips

3 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional)

2 tablespoons water

Use a food processor or a heavy-duty blender to crush the almonds and cashews, then add in dates, coconut, cocoa, vanilla and water. Once the mix is a malleable consistency, add in the nibs or chocolate chips, chia or flax and knead in with a fork. Press the mix into a square or rectangular pan and refrigerate. After it hardens, cut it up into bars and enjoy!

1

2

Homemade Acai Bowl

1/2 banana (frozen is best)

1 acai packet

1 handful of frozen berries

1/4 cup liquid (coconut water, almond milk)

Granola

Berries or fruit of choice

In a blender, add the packet, banana, berries or other fruit (frozen or fresh) and your liquid. Since I didn’t have any frozen bananas, I used a regular one and added in a couple ice cubes and some extra frozen fruit, but the frozen banana will definitely improve the consistency. Once blended, transfer the contents into a bowl and add your preferred toppings, such as granola (see recipe above), berries, the other half of the banana and some honey or agave to top it off.

3

4

Salad in a Jar

1 handful kale

1 tablespoon sunflower seeds

1/4 cup quinoa (prepared kind with veggies from TJ’s is my favorite)

2 tablespoons dressing of choice (Balsamic)

You can basically do whatever you want with this as long as you layer it right. You can also make a few of these jars and keep them in your fridge to have enough salads on the go to last you a couple of days. Make sure your dressing goes at the bottom, followed by the quinoa and dry ingredients like seeds or nuts, then the veggies, topped with the lettuce of your choice.

5

6

Egg Soufflé

2 whole eggs

Splash of egg whites (or another egg)

2 tablespoons of almond milk (unsweetened)

1 Laughing Cow slice

Salt and pepper

A little kale, zucchini and chopped onion

In a small, but deep pan or dish, mix the eggs, cheese, almond milk, salt and pepper together for a minute. Add in the vegetables and mix them in so that the contents are evenly distributed. Place the pan or dish in the oven at 300 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes or until the top of the quiche begins to look crispy. The same process can be done in a muffin pan for individual soufflés that make an excellent on-the-go breakfast.

7

8

Be sure to tweet @dbmojo if you try any of these!