Food and Dining

The Ocho: Apartment Dinner Party Locale

One Sunday morning, I was looking for a brunch place on Yelp when I stumbled across what seemed like a new, highly rated restaurant called The Ocho. Intrigued, I read the reviews, excited that something passably edible had finally come to Westwood. Instead, I found a mock “restaurant” run by Sunny Singh, the Bruins United presidential candidate from 2014 and a fourth-year history and economics student, in conjunction with his roommates. After some back and forth, I visited Singh and his friends/roommates, fourth-year psychology student Michael Ruder and fourth-year sociology student Patrick Cody-Carrese, after the end of one of their regular dinner parties on a Monday evening.

Though none of the trio plan to pursue cooking full-time after graduation this quarter, they still plan to keep the spirit of The Ocho alive by continuing to throw dinner parties in their post-college lives.

If you want to create your own Ocho-style experience, keep a few things in mind:

• Be collaborative in the kitchen. There’s no need to put all the pressure on yourself as the gracious host and chef.

“We’re very competitive with our dishes and sometimes we make recommendations, like adding a little less salt, but all in all we want to see each other improve and make the best dish possible.”  – Cody-Carrese

• Be creative in the kitchen and don’t just follow recipes from online.

“We always try to keep it different. We never serve the same dish twice.” – Cody-Carrese

• The most important thing is the people you’re breaking bread with.

“It’s always great to be able to spend time with friends, to partake in a meal together. It’s like Thanksgiving every time (we host The Ocho).” – Singh

“I think the main ingredient in any delicious dinner party is the people. You gotta have the right people coming in order to make a good dinner party.” – Ruder

“Share your stories like you share your food” – Cody-Carrese

Tags: ,