How-to

The Write Stuff: Introducing Mike Bedard

Hello, denizens of social media!

My name is Mike Bedard: playwright, Batman enthusiast and a man who enjoys a good pun.

What you can expect from me in the foreseeable future are a variety of blog posts including tips for essay writing, news of the many theatrical happenings on campus and insights into the literary world.

Now, you may be wondering what makes me qualified to blog about how to write. Well, if it helps, I am currently taking that creative writing class that’s being taught by James Franco. (Yes, that James Franco.) But I don’t want anyone to get the wrong idea. These posts will not be a diary of every minuscule detail of Professor Franco in class.

3:47 P.M.: Professor Franco tilts his hat slightly and then gently scratches his beard.

Yeah, nothing like that. But for those of you interested, I will be passing along small tidbits of what I learned in his class. For example, early on in the quarter, we discussed Hunter S. Thompson’s Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and how Thompson purposely put himself into precarious situations (namely taking a bunch of drugs and then going to a Drug Enforcement Administration conference), so he could add conflict to his biographical tale. Professor Franco then discussed how we could add more depth to our own stories by detailing moments when we had to maneuver our way out of  an intense situation.

But the Franco class isn’t the only noteworthy class I’m taking this quarter. I’m also enrolled a really fascinating Science Fiction class where we’ve discussed the legitimacy of quasi-human creations and whether or not they truly qualify as sentient beings or if…who am I kidding? Half of you stopped reading as soon as I said I wasn’t going to be talking about James Franco tilting his hat. But, to reiterate: this blog column is not about James Franco. Let me know what you would like me to write about by sharing your suggestions in the comments below, on Facebook or Twitter.

Next week: Tips from UCLA professors on how to write a good essay.