How-to

To-Do List: Things to take care of before graduation

With less than a month until the end of the quarter… and finals… and graduation… and life after college… no doubt seniors must be feeling somewhat like this:

Sometimes, making lists help. So we have decided to do what we here at Mojo do best: make a list of the miscellaneous “stuff” you have to take care of before you graduate. Hopefully this list will make your life easier in the weeks leading up to graduation.

• Pick up commencement tickets: The tickets you ordered on MyUCLA will be available from CTO starting Tuesday, May 21. Be sure to bring a valid photo ID. Tickets that aren’t picked up by Tuesday, June 4 will be released to other students.
  • Reserve parking passes for commencement: This can be done on MyUCLA by clicking on the commencement icon in the top right hand corner.
  • Make use of the Career Center: After you graduate, you will no longer have access to the UCLA Career Center‘s resources unless you pay a fee. Luckily, there is still time to attend some career workshops and use BruinView to apply for jobs.
  • Set up lifetime email forwarding: Although UCLA doesn’t allow you to keep your actual @ucla.edu email account, you can have any emails sent to your @ucla.edu email forwarded to an email of your choice for the rest of your life. You can set it up here.
  • Order your cap and gown: Order your cap and gown via the UCLA Store website. Order pick ups have already begun at Graduation Etc. on Ackerman A-Level.
  • Take the senior survey: Take an optional survey about your experiences at UCLA and be entered to win prizes in a raffle including Lifetime Alumni Association membership.
  • See a departmental AND college counselor: You should see both counselors to make sure that you have met all the requirements for your major and specific college, so you are on the right track to graduate. Counselors are also very helpful if you have any questions about the whole process (or life in general).
  • Apply for Optional Practical Training (International students): International students hoping to stay in the United States and work for 12 months in a specific field of study should consider applying for OPT. The recommended deadline for applying for OPT is two months after graduation. But keep in mind that the OPT application takes about 3 months to process, and you cannot start working until your application has been approved. Read this online workshop from the Dashew International Center for all the details before you submit the necessary paperwork.

Still feeling like you’ve forgotten something? You can find more information on the Commencement website, as well as the commencement Facebook and Twitter pages.

Tags: ,