News

Blue & Gold Week Donation Challenge

In the spirit of Blue and Gold Week (more commonly known as “Rivalry Week”), the UCLA Fund is sponsoring “The Blue & Gold Week Challenge.”

Here’s the challenge: if 1,117 students, parents and alumni donate $5 or more to the fund by Nov. 17 (the day of the USC game), UCLA Fund Chair Roger Tomalas, Class of ’69, will donate $50,000 to UCLA.

“My wife, Lynn, and I have been donors for over 25 years. Giving back to the school we love means everything to us. It is utterly exciting to see the entire UCLA community – including students – come together to support UCLA during this exciting week. Our hope is that our fellow Bruins will be inspired to join us,” Tomalas told the UCLA Fund in a statement.

This is the first time a challenge like this has been held during the week leading up to the annual USC game.

“Giving back is a Bruin tradition, and there’s no better week to get students and alumni fired up about supporting the university we love,” said Stacey Capoot, assistant director of Student Giving at UCLA.

The total amount of money donated so far can be monitored by checking the thermometer and refreshing the page to see the new balance.

To partake in the challenge, donate online or text BRUINS to 50555.

The Student Giving Committee will also be on campus accepting donations at the following locations:

• Bruin Walk, Thursday, Nov. 15 from 10:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and Friday, Nov. 16 from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Beat ‘SC Bonfire at Wilson Plaza, Thursday, Nov. 15  at 5 p.m.

To stay updated the donation’s progress, check out the Facebook event and UCLA fund’s Twitter.

P.S. Like the photo above? That’s longtime alumnus cheerleader Geoffrey Strand, known for his “every man, woman and child” cheers. He was 44 years old in 1992, and this year will be Strand’s 36th year on the job. In light of the game’s 20th anniversary, Daily Bruin staffer Lexy Atmore collected photos from Daily Bruin archives of the 1992 USC vs. UCLA game. To see more photos, scroll through the the gallery on our website.