Science & Health

Midterm Study Break: 5-minute Dorm Room Workouts

Midterms are fast approaching: An inordinate amount of chocolate and coffee is about to be consumed. Your butt will get that numb, I’ve-been-stuck-in-a-chair-all-day feeling (yeah, you know what I’m talking about). Not to mention your brain will start feeling like it’s about to explode if you have to write one more word or do another math problem.

My solution to this is a 5-minute body-weight workout, which I can do from the comfort of my dorm room. These workouts will break up long periods of studying, and get more blood flowing to your brain so that you can think more clearly. The post-workout endorphins will put you in a better mood (your roommates will thank me for that one), so that when you sit back down again to study, you’ll feel refreshed and ready to tackle some more work.

Both of these mini-workouts have the same format: 30-second warm-up, a 2.5-minute circuit that you repeat twice and then an extra 1-minute bonus move at the end. For a visual reference, check out the photos above (click to enlarge) of me doing the different positions in my dorm. Check out the parentheticals for easier (as well as more advanced) modifications for some of the exercises, so that you can adjust the mini-workout to your level. If you want an extra challenge, try repeating the circuits more than twice or doing more reps of each exercise. Happy sweating!
Workout #1
Warm-up: 30 seconds (fake) jump rope in place
Repeat this circuit twice for a 5-minute workout:
  • 25 jumping jacks
  • 10 push-ups (modification: do the push-ups on your knees)
  • 15 squat jumps (modification: do regular squats)
  • 10 tricep dips
  • 20 chair step-ups (more advanced: try jumping onto the chair instead)
BONUS: 1-minute (or as long as you can) plank to give your core a little bit of extra work
Workout #2
Warm-up: High knees in place for 30 seconds
  • 20 squats
  • 10 burpees*
  • 10 tricep pushups (modification: do the push-ups on your knees)
  • 20 lunges (more advanced: try jumping up when switching legs)
  • 10 hollow rocks*

BONUS: 1-minute (or as long as you can) wall sit to work your legs a little more

*These moves are linked to a video of how to do them, in case you haven’t seen them before.

I also compiled a playlist (below) with some of my current favorite workout jams that will get you pumped and make these workouts all the more fun. And if your sweat sesh turns into a dance party… well, I can’t say I’d blame ya!

Feel free to tweet me @JuliBananna with any questions about the workouts. And then comment below or tweet us @dbmojo and let us know how your workout went!

Photos courtesy of Melissa Rose, first-year environmental sciences student.