Food and Dining

What’s In Your Cup? Dessert in a Mug

It’s one in the morning on the Wednesday of midterms week. It’s been a long day of classes and you’ve exhausted all of your procrastination resources. You’re craving a B-Caf cupcake or Café 1919’s warm, gooey brownie sundae like nobody’s business, but the thought of leaving your dorm room is less than appealing and there’s no chance of you changing out of your pajamas anytime soon. Or perhaps you find yourself in my position, stuck in your apartment and kicking yourself for not stocking up on baked goods to get you through the week.

Thank goodness for dessert in a mug. Never underestimate the power of the microwave. Within five minutes, you can make a warm “fresh baked” dessert to satisfy any craving. Besides saving tons of time, these recipes also provide portion control  they make a single serving in one mug, so you won’t be tempted to eat an entire batch of cookies.

Let’s start this party off with your old favorite: a good old fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookie (in a mug).

Credit goes to Melissa Rose, a first-year environmental sciences student, for this divine creation. Our recommendation is to add as many chocolate chips as your heart desires – no measuring necessary, here. Word to the wise: don’t skip the egg separation part of this recipe. After many experimentations (yes, it’s midterms week), we discovered that adding egg whites will make the cookie more fluffy and more like a muffin rather than a cookie. Also, definitely don’t microwave this for too long or add too much flour. Otherwise, the cookie will start looking more like cookie crumbles, rather than an actual cookie.

Next up: Gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake . This little treat rivals Café 1919’s brownie sundae any day. To really dress it up, heat a tablespoon of peanut butter for 20 seconds in the microwave and drizzle over the top of the cake after it comes out. Eat warm (don’t need to tell me twice!) and enjoy. You might be just as amazed as I am with the cake-y consistency your microwave is capable of creating. Warning: this cake is dense, so finishing it is a feat.

Transport yourself to the comfort of a campfire with this Chocolate Fudge S’mores Mug Cake. My roommate Lauren Hastings, a third-year economics student, takes the cake (pun intended) for this one. This cake is slightly more time intensive than the others but I can guarantee it is so worth it. Don’t worry if you don’t have graham crackers, Lauren used Trader Joe’s Gingersnap Cookies instead and, dare I say it, it tasted even better than the original.

Now, for everyone’s favorite: Nutella Mug Cake. Who doesn’t love Nutella? Don’t spend the extra money on self-rising flour, just make your own using regular flour and baking powder, adapting to these proportions.

For an extra kick of delicious, follow these instructions: melt chocolate chips with some Nutella, carve a hole in the top of your cake and dollop a generous scoop of melted chocolate into the middle.

So, my friends, you can have your cake and eat it too. If you’re craving late-night desserts, time and baking skills no longer stand in the way of you getting the warm, gooey chocolate treat you deserve after a long day of studying.

Check out these other microwave meals, including microwave meatloaf (say what?) and cinnamon roll in a cup. And stay tuned next week for “breakfast in a mug.”