Arts & Entertainment

5 things UCLA students would do if there were no laws on campus

The upcoming film “The Purge” features an alternate version of American society, which allows 12 hours of lawlessness each year. On Tuesday night, CEC showed a sneak peak of the film. The premise of the film is that crime rates become practically nonexistent because once a year, people are given 12 hours to do whatever they want, including murder, steal and other illegal activities.

After seeing a preview for the movie, I immediately thought about all the rules at UCLA that are just waiting to be broken. Except for, well, the rules about murder and violence. That wouldn’t be cool. Here are the top five rules we wish we could break.

1. Elevator Use

Even UCLA’s unwritten laws would come into play during “The UCLA Purge.” As a result, all residents living on the second floor of any building could press the “2” button in the elevator and not take the stairs. No more pretending like you are struggling with your books and have no choice but to ride the elevator. Fair warning: since there’s no rules, you might get punched in the face.

2. Go tunneling

A trip to UCLA’s secret underground tunnel system is on most students’ bucket lists. Some students have likely ventured underground already (and being technically allowed to do it may diminish the act’s allure for daredevils). But if you’re not much of a rule-breaker and you’ve always wanted to know what all the buzz is about – here’s your chance to do it.

3. Fall in love with a Trojan

No doubt many Bruins have found themselves caught in a Westside Story-like scenario: you’re in love with the enemy across town. Bruin and Trojan love is a major taboo. Allow your forbidden love to blossom into an open commitment. Let your colors shine and, if your heart so desires, trade in your blue for red. You can finally say that you…say that you love a…that you love a Tro — No. I’m sorry, I can’t do this. This is too much. With 12 hours to do anything, you should by no means think it’s acceptable to spend that time with your Trojan girlfriend or boyfriend. Forget everything I said about young love. Not even an Ethan Hawke film can allow this.

4. Frolick in the Inverted Fountain before graduation

Walking to class past the Inverted Fountain on a hot day is dangerously tempting. With no rules, you wouldn’t have to wait until your graduation day to wet your toes in the cool water. You could jump right in, and if you’re feeling super rebellious you could even skinny dip in the fountain. Students of every class year (not just seniors) could spend all day bathing in the sacred water. And then you could return to the dorms, sopping wet, and take the elevator to the second floor.

5. Paint buildings.

UCLA’s brick architecture is beautiful. But imagine a purple Powell Library and Rainbow Royce Hall. Maybe we should paint Bruin Walk yellow while we’re at it (Wizard of Oz, anyone?).

What would you do if you had 12 hours on campus with no laws? Tweet us @dbmojo or comment below.