Food and Dining

Beat the Cold with Roasted Butternut Squash Soup in a Wheat Bread Bowl

There’s nothing that says comfort food like soup in a bread bowl. Beat the winter blues with this delicious treat.

Recently, I was craving the Boudin Bread Bowl Soup they serve at Disneyland California Adventure (yep, I’m a season pass holder), so I decided to make it homemade. But if you’re not feeling that adventurous (or don’t want the minor hand cramps that accompany the kneading of the dough – ouch!) you can buy a large sourdough loaf and an 8 oz. cup of soup at Ralph’s for $6.

This recipe is best enjoyed when the bread is fresh out of the oven, but the bread should stay good for a week – just pop it in the oven for a few minutes.

If you’re going the homemade route, prepare the bread 3 hours before you want to eat, so it has enough time to rise. Start your soup after separating the dough a second time before baking. The secret with this bread is to brush the dough balls with egg before baking. The egg is the perfect glaze and makes the loaf crunchy, shiny and perfect for soup-dipping. When the bread comes out of the oven, let it cool (and try not to eat it). Using a sharp knife, cut a lid out of the top. (Don’t be afraid to get close to the edges!)

My favorite soup in the world is butternut squash, and the following recipe is a gift that keeps giving – it makes up to six servings. I opted for Trader Joe’s chopped butternut squash, prepackaged and ready to go, to avoid the hassle and fuss of chopping the real thing.

Start by sauteing half a chopped onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pot. Add in 2 carrots (chopped), half an apple (also chopped) and half a bell pepper (you guessed it, chopped!). Finally, add the two packages of butternut squash and 2 cans of chicken broth. Season to your preference with salt, pepper, thyme, ground cumin, a dash of dried oregano and three dried bay leaves. Cover the pot with a lid and let it come to a boil, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes until the carrots are soft.

Pour ingredients to a blender/food processor and puree for two minutes until soup is smooth. Pour the soup back into pot and simmer until it’s ready to be poured into your bread bowl. Garnish with cracked pepper, and voila! It’s the perfect way to combat the cold weather.