Food and Dining

Foodie Bucket List: Abbot Kinney First Fridays

Happy February, everyone! Foodies, here’s one reason to celebrate the arrival of a new month: tonight is Abbot Kinney First Fridays, Mardi Gras style. Get your beads, feathers, boas and masks on and head to Venice. Stores are open for extended hours, many restaurants have happy hour and there’s a ton of food trucks. The event lasts from approximately 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. (note: it’s best to arrive before 6 p.m. if you want to find parking nearby).

As a First Friday veteran, I think every Bruin should add this delicious event to their college bucket list. Here’s the deal: Every first Friday of every month, the famous quintessential street of Abbot Kinney in Venice opens up its sidewalks to dozens of the best food trucks in Los Angeles. Fellow foodies pack the streets to scavenge for their next favorite dish. Seasoned Bruins might recognize some of the famous food trucks, which used to frequent South Campus: India Jones, Kogi BBQ Truck, the Grilled Cheese Truck and the Flying Pig Truck, to name a few.

Per food truck norms, meals are served “tapas style, with portions big enough that you enjoy the flavors but you won’t get too full (so you can try as many dishes as your stomach will hold!) My suggestion: go with a group of friends and eat your way up and down both sides of the street. This way everyone gets a bite of everything!

My favorites treats include: B&B&B Waffle (pictured above, Bacon, Brie, Basil Liege Waffle… say what?! Yep, First Fridays food trucks have a ton of dishes like this) and the Speculoos cookie butter liege waffle from Crispy Waffle and Frite. Don’t miss Curb A Peel for their delightful and fresh tacodilla steak tacos … seriously, though. These tacos are stuffed with perfectly seasoned steak, but have a refreshing and light surprise burst of lime and pico de gallo. MeSoHungry offers sweet potato fries seasoned with garlic, parmesan and parsley that will knock your socks off. And if you’re in the mood for something rich, don’t skip out on the chocolate chip Oreo cookie from the dessert truck!

Are you a First Friday veteran? Leave a comment below or tweet us at @dbmojo to tell us your favorites of the night!

Tags: , , ,