News

Graduating blogger Kassy Cho’s farewell (love) letter to Mojo

My dearest Mojo,

There’s something I have to tell you. Just yesterday, I wrote my last real post for you. It’s time for us to part ways. I know, this is terrifying, but it still hasn’t hit me. Blasting soppy break-up songs on repeat didn’t work either. Regardless, I want to tell you how much I adore you.

You gave me a legitimate reason to spend time on Facebook and Wikipedia. You fueled my geeky obsession with obscure historical facts, movies, binary (even though I still don’t fully get it) and hyperlinking.

I can proudly say that I’ve been trapped in mobs of crying students, Bradley Cooper fans and Jensen Ackles’ Twitter fans (I don’t even watch “Supernatural”) for you.

I took unending pictures of unending lines of waiting student for you. I scoured the interwebz for story ideas for you. Because of you, I was on a Twitter-handle basis with the UCLA libraries (I see you retweeting me, @UCLA_Powell).

• I
  • made
  • lists
  • for
  • you

And whenever I needed an extra dose of that adrenaline rush, I knew I could depend on you. You would always be there with a live blog, a live tweet or a person in a tree (the one story that we didn’t actually cover).

I remember talking about you with Kate more than a year and a half ago. When I got involved with you, I never imagined it would be the beginning of a beautiful friendship and subsequent love affair with new media.

I have James, Devin and “Mojo Mama” Kate to thank for that. James encouraged me to go to you when I was confused about what I wanted to do, and Devin and Kate welcomed me with open arms.

After our first story, I knew it was something special. There was something about you that made me feel right at home. Maybe it was being with a bunch of cool bloggy kids who knew what I was talking about or maybe it was because there was never a dull moment or a boring story I didn’t like writing for you.

I will miss those Sunday evenings when we’d all sit around Kate’s living room with our green Patch pens and talk about you. I will miss running around campus with every piece of technological equipment I own to “Mojo it” for you.

I like to think of you as the mini Google of UCLA. If ever I saw something cool on campus, I could go to you, and you would know what it was. Just as people were told to “Google it,” us bloggers were told to “Mojo it.” And I look forward to the day that you officially become a verb (although you are already on Wikipedia).

It’s true; I had hoped we would grow old together. But it’s been real, Mojo. You’ve become such a huge part of my short time at UCLA, and now when it comes to it, I don’t quite know how to say goodbye.

But there you have it, Mojo. This is my love letter to you. Thank you for helping me discover who I am, for the crazy stories and for all the times you stubbornly refused to format things correctly on WordPress. We’ve both come so far since then. So yes, it’s bittersweet, and no, I don’t know if I’m ready, but I can’t think of a better way to bid you farewell than with a quote from a film (typical). So, “Here’s looking at you, kid.”

Love always,

Kassy