Fashion

Week 3: Student Style Highlight

Iris Goldsztajn / Daily Bruin

Clarification: We updated this post and omitted the phrase “Asian-inspired” in Ehiemere’s description of her style because the editors consider the phrase culturally insensitive.

Nkem Ehiemere, a first-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student, was walking back to the Hill when we spotted her unique look. Ehiemere knows exactly what she likes and what she absolutely does not. When asked to describe her style, she didn’t hesitate to tell us that she tries to mix her clothing with typical ‘50s pin-up items. This student also follows a certain number of rules. She told Mojo that she NEVER wears flats or pants. Perhaps it is her impressive discipline that makes her style work so well?

Whatever it is, one thing is sure: The girl knows how to shop. Her shoes were – brace yourselves – 63 cents from a thrift store. A pro thrifter, Ehiemere also scored her shirt at Savers. As for the crown jewel of this outfit, the student’s patterned dress, she bought it off eBay from an independent designer who specializes in vintage pin-up dresses.

Iris Goldzstajn / Daily BruinJosh Chang described his style as “edgy.” Indeed, this second-year communication studies student was sporting a lacerated sleeveless cardigan over a low-cut white tank, black shorts and tennis shoes, all of which he bought in Taiwan when he visited the country. His look is very minimalistic, yet incredibly effective. His asymmetric haircut makes the perfect finishing touch. Chang claimed his fashion icons to be K-pop artists in general. In addition to this, he always goes for neutral tones or military-inspired clothing. His favorite shopping destinations are H&M, Forever 21 and Armani Exchange, among others.

What are you wearing to class today? Tweet us @dbmojo or comment below.