Arts & Entertainment

Whitney Port Holds Q&A with Students

Last night, while UCLA sports fans headed to Pauley Pavilion to watch the USC basketball game, UCLA fashionistas packed into Moore 100 to hear Whitney Port (a USC grad) speak.

Port, an L.A. native, rose to fame as the cast member of the popular MTV reality show “The Hills” and later started her own spin-off show “The City.” Now, Port lives her life off-camera, trying to transition from TV personality to designer, working on the next collection of her clothing line, Whitney Eve.

Campus Events Commission organized the talk by Port, who has been touring colleges recently to answer fans’ questions about her career and encourage young women to pursue their dreams.

Although she is a designer, Port said she never took any design or sewing classes. She gained the bulk of her experience by interning at places like Women’s Wear Daily and Teen Vogue. So her best advice to young go-getters, she told the crowd, is to find a company you want to work for and send them everything you’ve got: a resume, portfolio, etc. She also encouraged audience members to send their resumes to her company and email [email protected] to apply.

After dishing out the career advice, Port addressed some of the following questions about her reality TV life:

• How much of her show The City is real and how much isn’t? The show was not scripted but scenarios are “played up” by producers.
  • Is Olivia as vicious as she seems? She can be catty, but is mostly just frustrated by the cameras.
  • Does Whitney see Spencer, Heidi or LC much? She never sees Spencer and Heidi, but catches up with Lauren every once in a while, most recently during a furniture shopping trip.

And the best question of the night: How does she make herself so beautiful? She washes her face regularly and uses hair masks, she said. But now that she isn’t constantly being filmed, she said she puts in a lot less effort.

“I don’t know … Now, if you saw me the office atmosphere, you wouldn’t think I was so beautiful,” she said, laughing.

Tags: , ,