Arts & Entertainment

Why Spring Quarter is going to be Awesome

As we come back to campus from spring break, the tease of the vacation leaves many students dreaming of the freedom of summer and overlooking the awesomeness that spring quarter offers. Whether you need convincing or a refresher of the greatness that is to come over the next few weeks, here are just a few of the many reasons why spring quarter will be the best yet.

1. Summer is just around the corner! If you are hoping for a speedy third quarter, slow down and smell the flowers.  Summer will be here shortly and then you can do whatever you please! But don’t fret, because summer is only 11 weeks away, and you CAN do this!

2. The weather is basically perfect. If you ever need a pick-me-up after a long day of studying, just go take a look at your weather app and you’re almost guaranteed to get a smile. With the typical “75 and sunny” weather of April and May, this quarter will be B-E-A-UTIFUL.

3. Dance Marathon. Dance Marathon is closely approaching! (For those of you not yet signed up to dance the night away April 18-19, click here to do so.) Put on by the Pediatric Aids Coalition at UCLA, Dance Marathon raises money to fight pediatric AIDS by giving students the chance to raise money by dancing for 26 hours. So get your groove on!

4. Festivals on festivals on festivals.  From music to movies to food, it is officially festival season here in southern California.  For you music lovers, there’s Coachella (April 10-12 and April 17-19), featuring AC/DC, Jack White, Drake and many more. There’s Stagecoach (April 24-26) for the country music fans, featuring Tim McGraw, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert and many more too. Both festivals are a full three days of music and sun in the desert at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California.

For those of you looking for a cheaper, closer way to be a part of the festival magic, starting in May and running through the entire summer is the Street Food Cinema, a festival in parks in the Greater Los Angeles Area that feature a band, food trucks and a screening of a movie – and tickets are only $12.

And finally, for those of you that couldn’t get enough when B-Plate put out the strawberries, the California Strawberry Festival runs May 16-17 featuring strawberry pie eating contests, relay races, strawberry shortcake building competitions and SO MANY STRAWBERRIES. So whether you’re a music fan, movie lover or strawberry connoisseur, there’s a festival for you.

5. It’s your final set of finals!  If the idea of another finals week makes your vision go blurry and mind run scared, think about it this way: It’s the last time (at least until next year). But for now, you just have to push through these last 11 weeks and remember that waiting for you on the other side is a relaxing 100 days of summer (yes, I counted).

6. There is always something happening here. From Spring Sing to sporting events, there is literally always something happening on campus. So the next time you’re looking for something to do, check out the UCLA Happenings Calendar, and be amazed!

For these reasons alone, I think that Spring Quarter is going to be, well, awesome.

Tags: , , , , , , ,